Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I'm good in the kitchen now, too!

The task at hand was not too difficult. It had been done before by mothers around the world, so I knew I could do it with some concentration, too. I didn't want to be that 'mom', you know? The one who wouldn't even try. The one who complained she couldn't do it. The one who gave up too easily, the one who would give in and find a more simple solution. No, this time, I was going to go through with it. No matter how bad the end result might be, there was no stopping me.

I told my husband to leave the house, to go to Starbucks, as I know in mere minutes the state of the kitchen would look as if a tornado had passed by, and I wanted to avoid any and all discussions about why I had even bothered.

I found what I was looking for in a cookbook I took from my mother-in-law's house. A recipe. A recipe for a simple dessert that most people love to eat. Carrot cake. A somewhat, um, healthy dessert.

I gathered the ingredients I needed, and bought what I didn't already have at home. My oldest son got to work with me. He peeled and grated all the carrots. At one point, I said to him: "Sweetie, I think we have enough carrots. We only need 2 cups." And he, my darling son, said: "No, mommy. When I made this cake with yiayia the other day, we used way more carrots than this!"

Thankfully, my son, my 4 year old son, was right. He peeled and grated more carrots.

Then... we started to bake the cake. And it was... simple, actually. All I had to do was read and follow the instructions. Although, to be quite honest, I didn't follow them exactly as the book said. For instance, when it said to mix the butter and cream cheese together first and then add the icing sugar for the icing? I added all the ingredients together at the same time. I don't think this really mattered, though, because it tasted great in the end!

And after 35 minutes of the cake sitting in the oven, I realized I hadn't really turned it on. I did something, because it was warm, but it was not where it needed to be - at 350F. So, anyway, in the end? The cake turned out perfect. It tasted amazing. And everyone enjoyed it at our big Thanksgiving feast yesterday!



Now that I have baked for pretty much the first time ever, my confidence has grown in the kitchen. I can totally do it again! Just keep me away from anything Martha Stewart - I'm never going to be that good!

22 comments:

Danielle said...

You know I love you but I was skeptical when you said you had baked a carrot cake. Then I felt bad for doubting you. But, once I read that you "hadn't really turned the oven" then I didn't feel QUITE as bad. :)

Glad it turned out well!

Mary said...

That's awesome Lou...can you bake me one and send it to TO??

Chantal said...

Good for you! I love carrot cake and to be honest I have NEVER made it. I need to remedy that soon! Congrats! And you boy helping, priceless!

Tiffany Lockette said...

You crack me up. I know exactly what you are going through. I am the same way, luckily my husband worked through college as a chef for a nice restaurant so I let him handle most of the cooking. I have started every time his parents come stay with us, making deserts. I made a round chocolate cake for the first time this week and I must say it turned out wonderfully. I follow directions better that I thought I could. Glad your carrot cake turned out yummy!!

Christy said...

Congrats - and I bet your family loved eating that cake!

Theta Mom said...

So glad it turned out well, and see, you surprised yourself! Awesome!

Mom2Miles said...

Yum! I love carrot cake! That's a pretty ambitious recipe for your first baking attempt. I would've started w/ a mix! Kudos to you. :)

Lady Mama said...

That cake looks totally yummy! Well done. I've never made carrot cake - think I'm going to give it a go too. And I love that your son insisted on grating more carrots - he's so funny and smart!

daddybookins said...

Congrats!!!! (is that enough love??)

I think it's awesome you baked a carrot cake....I am by no means a master at the 'baking' art....I leave that up to the mrs....otherwise who knows what you'll be getting....like a dried out brick of something.

What's next on your baking agenda??

Cheers!

Peas Out!
~daddy b

Mommy Lisa said...

Nice going! Carrot Cake is (ummm) healthy! ;)

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Hooray! Baking can certainly be hit or miss (at least for me) so I admire your determination!!! I do love carrot cake -- it looks yummy!!!

Suzanne said...

Woohoo! I'm SO proud of you, Lou! I bet it tasted amazing. And you have to give yourself more credit, babe, the few things that you do make are amazing and yummy!!!! xox

Kelly said...

Good for you :)

Rebecca said...

This. Looks. Delicious!!! well done ;)

rjs mama said...

Yummy, healthy carrot cake! Care to share the recipe?

RJ's day to day activities
Journal of RJ's mom

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Send some my way... Carrot Cake is my favorite.. it was my wedding cake !!!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Talented YOU, even with the oven not on :) I'm awful at baking so anything past slice and bake is incredible talent to me!

ModernMom said...

Hee hee. Yeah you! Baking/cooking can be addictive once you start!

Scattered Mom said...

Yummy! If you can do a carrot cake, then muffins aren't far behind. Or brownies, maybe. :)

See! I knew you could!

skichik79 said...

Go you .. now attack fondant !

Krista said...

Great job! Eventually you'll become so good at it that you'll remember to turn the oven on first :)

Geezees Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Good job, looks yummy!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs